Pinterest 1973 Dabney Street

Thursday, August 22, 2013

While looking for more singing opportunities, I decided to apply for a program in Salzburg, Austria. By this time Dave and I were struggling to make ends meet, between my unemployment check and his job insecurity we were terrified of what was coming next. I felt going to Europe and testing my Operatic feet was an opportunity to create a job singing. I needed the exposure and thought this was going to be my big break. Every Opera singer makes the European pilgrimage at one point in their career. I had to step on faith! He didn’t agree. I applied anyways! I had to make a video Audition and write countless essays but on Christmas Eve, I got the best present! I was accepted! I was happy and scared. My husband was mostly scared. Then something terrible happened. As I said, I had to rob Peter to pay Paul. When I was rolling the dough, I decided to upgrade from my Chevy Aveo to a safer and bigger PT Cruiser. She was my pride and joy. I had every intention to keep her for the rest of her days. I had been able to support the payments up until my Firing at the production company. The unemployment was not enough. Plus it cost me more to do the opera in Santa Barbara than what they paid me. I was driving two hours each way on bald tires too. I prayed for a miracle. I rode on faith knowing that the Lord had me in his hands. After getting the Acceptance letter from the Festival in Salzburg, I knew the Lord was bringing forth Miracles right to my feet. As I turned the TV off to go sleep I heard the idling roar of a tow truck. I am very used to this sound with the mechanic down the alley! We hear it all the time. However, it was much closer than usual; it was taking my car away!!! Wait, What??? I got this great news during the day and now this? Devastated; I ran outside and pleaded with the tow truck driver! Previously that day, I had ran to the bank and sent in a payment. That didn’t work. I got out some of my property and took it inside crying. All of this happened on Christmas Day. I decided not to let this experience take the work ethic out of me. I threw my efforts into fund raising and getting myself ready for Salzburg. Once I got the assigned music, I began to study and learn every single note. I developed a daily routine for myself that involved learning music, managing my fundraising, and learning as much German as I could. I worked so hard some days, I forgot to eat and make dinner for my husband. My hair, though still was not growing as fast as it previously did. It was breaking more than growing! I didn’t know what was going on. I was trying to squeeze out that inch in enough time to braid it. The texture changed so much I thought that this was my future; dry, brittle, dull. The curl had gone. My hair literally grew out my scalp straight and fuzzy. When I put gel on it; I got nothing, no curl. I pressed on and held out for that one inch. After months of preparation, I was ready to go to Salzburg! I had managed to raise $4000 for the trip, the dresses, and the room and board! I was very proud and prepared. The one thing that was the hardest was figuring out what to pack. There are some extreme weight limits which can be stifling to a baby diva like me. I had to pack for ball gowns plus my regular clothes and shoes. Since I didn’t get that one inch of hair, I decided to trim my hair and wear it in a nice round natural. By this time I had discovered the magic that is Eco Styler Argan Oil Gel. It was cheap and good! I had begun slicking my hair back into a Josephine Baker style hairdo. This helped me grow out my hair before and I thought it would help again. With this gel I had managed to at least show off my waves. The only hair that managed to curl was in the back of my head. This was a marked improvement from the damaged colour bits that stuck straight out my head. What was I going to take with me? I wanted to pack some curl cream for everyday styling and moisture, Gel for slicking down, and shampoo and conditioner. I realized that anything I couldn’t pack I could buy at the markets overseas. This is my favorite thing to do too! I was going to be in Salzburg for three weeks so my curly girl supplies had to last. I got some cute plastic, screw top containers and loaded my Curl cream in, and combined my shampoo and conditioner together. I made it through the weight limit. Lesson Learned? Keep working on your goals even when the life throws you a curve ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment